Being a properly educated citizen of the Indian River Lagoon and neighboring watershed is the only way to help protect and restore this natural treasure so many hold near to their heart. Do your part and learn as much as you can. Visit www.BeFloridianNow.org and www.SaveTheIRL.org to find out ways you can have a positive impact on our lagoon.
These are the 10 reason why I love the Indian River Lagoon and why I think it is so important to protect.
The Top 10 Things I Love About the IRL!
1. Limitless Inspiration: The lagoon is the perfect muse.
Artist: Vernon Mattiolli
2. The best wildlife viewing opportunities on the East Coast of Florida.
3. Sense of Community: People rally together to fight for the protection of their beloved ecosystem. Nothing makes me feel more at home than the feeling of pride my community shares for our natural habitat.
4. Unlimited Recreational Opportunities: Kayaking, geocaching, fishing, photography, videography, boating, hiking, paddle, boarding, water skiing, jet skiing, jet packing, relaxing, wildlife observing, birding, and endless opportunities to volunteer in environmental fields. With 156 miles of length this lagoon provides limitless possibilities for fun and adventure.
Photo By: IRL Paddle Adventure
5. Economic Value: The Indian River Lagoon is a national treasure, and is one of the most bio-diverse estuaries in the continental U.S. People spend a lot of $$$$ to come and visit our area. All these tourists help keep our local economy booming. I love my little beach town and I am thankful the lagoon helps draw in our snowbirds that keep the economy thriving and booming...as long as they remember to pick up their litter!
6. Biodiversity: I can see 100's of different species in a matter of hours while exploring the lagoon. Not many places in the world offer such a unique wildlife observation opportunity! Get outside and have an adventure!
Photo By: Smithsonian Marine Station
Check out the IRL Species Inventory to learn all about the
amazing different species we have living our Indian River Lagoon!
7. Places like the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge. <3
8. Easy access to hands-on learning opportunities for Marine Science Education- at any level!
9. Rich History: Stories of the Ais Indians are fascinating. Let yourself be transported back in time!
Check out this great article in the TCPalm
10. RIVER OTTERS, need I say more? <3
Thanks for reading!
Share the top 10 things you love about the lagoon below in the comments or on our Facebook wall: https://www.facebook.com/MarineResourcesCouncil/